Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander GT- tranny or brake issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Default 2010 Outlander GT- tranny or brake issues?

I recently purchased a used Outlander GT. I seem to be having issues with either my transmission or brakes. When I am at a full stop (say a stop light) and when I lift off the brakes and go to accelerate, there seems to be a very slight surge or pause as if the brakes are still engaged or the transmission is slow. Any ideas on where I need to be looking- ie brakes or tranny? Also, on a related note concerning the transmission- I was coming down a fairly steep hill, stopped and attempted to put the car in reverse and nothing happened. The car would not move back. Any ideas? Car has just under 49k on it.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM

at 50k, if the fluid hasn't been changed yet, do that. What does your dipstick say the fluid level is at? Changing the fluid does considerably help smooth out the shifting.

My stealership recommended every 45k miles. There is a whole thread about the differences in some stealership's tranny fluid changes. some just do a drain & fill, some get all the fluid out. I'm in favor of getting it all out.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM

- it showed just above the lower end (Cold) even though it was a warm engine. I will top it off and see if that makes any changes.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM

be sure to use the correct fluid. Gotta get it from the stealership or Amsoil makes a fluid that is compatible.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 PM

The brakes not releasing straight away is a hill holder function. It works if you have the transmission in gear and your foot on the brake and the car is on a certain angle. When you lift your foot from the brake pedal the brakes hold for a short time to stop the car from rolling down the hill.

If you don't want the hill hold to work put the transmission into neutral and then back into drive just before you come off the brake pedal.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by quadcam
The brakes not releasing straight away is a hill holder function. It works if you have the transmission in gear and your foot on the brake and the car is on a certain angle. When you lift your foot from the brake pedal the brakes hold for a short time to stop the car from rolling down the hill.

If you don't want the hill hold to work put the transmission into neutral and then back into drive just before you come off the brake pedal.
About the OP's first issue, I think your are correct. Here's what the 2011 service manual has to say about the V6 "regular" transmission:

23C-10 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

IDLE NEUTRAL CONTROL
The originally engaged starting clutch is slid to block the driving force (creep) which is generated when the vehicle is stopped with D range, improving the fuel consumption by reducing the load.

CONTROL SYSTEM DIAGRAM

Hope that helped.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM

The brakes will feel stuck when stopped on a hill.. press the gas a little to get going. This is the hill start assist (anti roll back) feature.

It should not happen on anything close to flat ground though.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Thank you all. A lot of useful information.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
be sure to use the correct fluid. Gotta get it from the stealership or Amsoil makes a fluid that is compatible.
AMSOIL has a J2 compatible fluid. From the transmission threads it sounds like the 2010's use J3 so check your manual or with your dealership (use your VIN) to find out what fluid spec you need.