Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

AVG fuel consumption reset

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Do you guys have any solution to this? I want to calculate my avg from full tank to empty. But then everytime I change the it to manual it reverts back to automatic and resets by itself after four hours.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
Do you guys have any solution to this? I want to calculate my avg from full tank to empty. But then everytime I change the it to manual it reverts back to automatic and resets by itself after four hours.
Alpha, I'm currently in the process of testing the following technique, but you may want to as well because I believe it will work. I believe the auto-reset and the manual-reset are two independent calculators, and the car just defaults to showing the auto-reset at startup. So, the manual reset is still running, just in the background.

Upon fillup, switch into manual-reset and reset. The next time you start your car, it will appear as if it got reset, but it really just switched back to the auto-reset display. If you go back into your menu and to the manual-reset MPG calculator, you will see it has not been reset, only hidden.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Actually a somewhat of an intelligent set-up if you think about it. You're able to track long-term usage in the background, and get a more accurate example of what MPG you're getting on a daily/small trip basis.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 AM

You're right! if you check your manual avg you can see the old average until you reset it to zero. As for auto mode it gets reset every after 4 hours or every after you use the vehicle.

Thanks. Now I can check my consumption every refill.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Yup, it does indeed work this way. The calculation was also EXACTLY the same as I calculated, at least on this tank.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaker73
Auto and Manual are two seperate modes.

Auto: Yes resets every so many hours or you can simply press reset at any time.

Manual: Resets only when you press reset - manually.

Yes it does switch back to the Auto mode display every so many hours or so. However the manual mode is still calculating MPG until you switch to manual mode and manually press Reset.

At least this is how it is on my 08 w/Navi. I use the Manual mode to check MPG with every take and then use the Auto mode to check MPG in different driving situations and reset it while on interstate or through town or just different speeds just playing around. So really it is two seperate modes.
Thanks for detailed explanation. This has been bugging me for ages. I just went out and checked the trip computer and as you say, it is still calculating the MPG in the background (in manual mode), even though the display is in auto mode.
Thanks again.