Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Question Battery problem?

We have a 07 Outlander XLS with about 35,+++ miles on it... the car would be 3 yrs old this March 2010..... yesterday my wife was parked at my daughters school by the time my daughter went out my wife tried starting the car and it won't start...... it won't even shift out of park so that she could move the car at the corner of the parking lot.... she called me and she told me that it won't start... I asked her if the lights, radio, horn are working.. she said yes.. so I never thought of the battery as the culprit... so I asked her to call Mitsubishi roadside assistance since I am 1 hour away from her. The guy came and he jump starts the car and it started... he told my wife that it was the battery....

when I got home I open the hood and checked the battery... the battery indicator is blue which means it is "ok" (that is what the sticker on the batter says - blue is ok and white means the battery needs charging)... I also checked if the battery has water on it and all water levels was fine.....

Is this a battery problem? Do i need to buy a new one? Or is it something else? If it's battery, any suggestions on what brand to buy?

Thanks......

Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Have the dealer check the battery and the charging system. Mitsubishi replaces the battery free of charge for the first two years if it fails, and at 50% cost the third year. From what you said you're still under the three years. If its a charging system problem, for example your alternator, that would be replaced free of charge under Mitsu's 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
Have the dealer check the battery and the charging system. Mitsubishi replaces the battery free of charge for the first two years if it fails, and at 50% cost the third year. From what you said you're still under the three years. If its a charging system problem, for example your alternator, that would be replaced free of charge under Mitsu's 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.
thanks for the quick reply.... I'll be bring it tomorrow to the dealer so they could check it... if they are going to give me the 50% cost for the battery I'll get it from them but if not I might just get Duralast or Optima....

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Default Fast charging check

Take a multi-meter and put it on the terminals of the battery. The voltage should be between 11.9-12.5 volts not running. Watch the meter as you start the car, the voltage should drop down to about 10-11 volts then come back up to 13-15volts as the charging system starts working. Now if your battery voltage drops below say 9 volts or lower (starting the car), then that battery might have a dead or bad cell in it. The charging system should hold the voltage to 13-15volts, because you need more voltage to charge the battery.

Rob

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono
Take a multi-meter and put it on the terminals of the battery. The voltage should be between 11.9-12.5 volts not running. Watch the meter as you start the car, the voltage should drop down to about 10-11 volts then come back up to 13-15volts as the charging system starts working. Now if your battery voltage drops below say 9 volts or lower (starting the car), then that battery might have a dead or bad cell in it. The charging system should hold the voltage to 13-15volts, because you need more voltage to charge the battery.

Rob
thanks for the reply.... I went to pepboys and the dealer to have the battery checked yesterday and both have the same answer... that I need a new battery.. the dealer also checked the electrical system and found no problem... so I have the battery replaced