Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mitsubishi Outlander Owner reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Outlander Owner reviews

Sirnewt,
Yep, i have the beige. I almost got the black, but when i saw the beige i fell in love. Plus i think there are probably more out their with black than beige so i wanted to be different

tdford,
Did you get the OEM guards? If so do they seem to protect pretty well? Somebody else said they don't do that good of a job.

I definitely plan to get some sort of guards just not sure which ones yet.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Cuffy - I got the OEM "splash guards". I would say yes, they dont protect the car a ton. But it does cut down on the amount of gravel/debris that blasts the sides. Unless your going to get actual mud flaps (like rally ones) than these are about your best bet.

$90 online: http://www.mitsuaccessories.com/Merc...ory_Code=OUT07

Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Thanx tdford. I guess anything is better than nothing, right. This is why i love forums...you can always find good input and and get internet links to what you need.

There's a few accessories on that sitei'd like to get (about $700 worth), but i'm waiting to sell a few leftover accessories from my Titan before I do.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM

I have read somewhere that 3M has a product that seems to be the solution to the problem of the Outlander rocker panel. The description of the product read:

Scotchgard Paint Protection Film
Paint Protection Film with pressure sensitive adhesive. This film is specially designed to preserve the beauty and integrity of exterior automotive finishes. It is ideal for protecting Class A surfaces in high-wear areas from stone chipping, abrasion, and most types of environmental damage. Best of all, it is virtually invisible. It is clear coated to help make.

DIY seems not to be an option and 3M recommends to use the services of a 3M certified skill person to do the job. The online Web site give instruction of how to get 3M certified people in your area, just by entering your zip code.

Before I read about this 3M product I was thinking to use an All Weather Repair Tape that I could buy from Wal-Mart and cover those areas that are more susceptible to be damaged. However I do not know if this could damage the paint permanently after one-year or can be easily removed from the door. I have used all weather tape (sell tape) to hold on place a plastic rear brake light lamp partially broke. So far I have using this tape for about 4 years and what I do is to change the tape on the lamp every year. The lamp is still working and no water come in it yet.

Does someone have some experience in doing something similar, i.e. using tape? Employing a 3M certified people to do the job; certainly it is assured quality and perfection but I think this will not cost less than $100.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

Cuffy - I got the OEM "splash guards". I would say yes, they dont protect the car a ton. But it does cut down on the amount of gravel/debris that blasts the sides. Unless your going to get actual mud flaps (like rally ones) than these are about your best bet.

Canadians beware!
While the prices are good, the site above uses UPS for shipping, which chargesa "brokerage" feeof about $30 CAD on top of what you pay for delivery ($25 US) and of course they collect the government taxes (about $13 CAD). In the end, the mud guards cost about the same as if you'd buy them from a Canadian dealer ($150 CAD + tax).

Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 AM

I don't see if a side molding protection as the photo could protect from the sand blaster. At a price of $400 imported from the UK (Zontarh.com) it is a high price to pay for half solution.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15888/385A77B6941749118980EAD8D3C22E16.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Cuffy-

That's funny - because in the South, the only color combination I could find was white WITH beige interior. I am a metalsmith/glassblower, and hence am ALWAYS dirty, so black was the only choice I had. I would have ruined the beige in like two seconds. It would have been nice in the Texas summers, however. The lady I purchased the vehicle from, told me my color combination was the rarest in the US - I'm not so sure. Anyway - I think the diamond white totally rocks - it's like a blue white pearl, not that crap-o "yellow" pearlescent Oyota-te has made so popular. Congrats on the new car. I found out I can get my cupholder replaced for free - YEAH - but I have to leave it at the dealership for a couple of days - HUH? They can't order the part, until the car has an invoice sheet showing they NEED the part. Stupid if you ask me. I guess I'll wait for the oil change and do it then.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: batman47

I don't see if a side molding protection as the photo could protect from the sand blaster. At a price of $400 imported from the UK (Zontarh.com) it is a high price to pay for half solution.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15888/385A77B6941749118980EAD8D3C22E16.jpg[/IMG]
The price for the ROAR door garnish, including shipping is $257 USD. There may be some additional charge for duties and tax upon delivery, but it can't be $150 USD. Note that on Zontarh.com, there are two kinds of garnishes - one is the Euro OEM (silver only) and then the ROAR Japanese which come body painted (this is what I ordered). They are identical.
No, the garnish alone cannot fully protect the side of the car form chips, but if you install the mud guards+side garnish+additional 3M clear film around the wheel well, it should be OK. At least this is what I'm seeing from my experience.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: dodo2

ORIGINAL: tdford

Canadians beware!
While the prices are good, the site above uses UPS for shipping, which chargesa "brokerage" feeof about $30 CAD on top of what you pay for delivery ($25 US) and of course they collect the government taxes (about $13 CAD). In the end, the mud guards cost about the same as if you'd buy them from a Canadian dealer ($150 CAD + tax).

I Got the cargo organizer from them and the side vent in September and as you said When they got here in Ottawa Canada UPS charged me for the brokerage fee and taxes so when I decided to get the mud flap I got them at the dealer.