Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 PM

I believe so, the other guy linked something else in his thread when he did his Pioneer.

If your wheel has the buttons for the BT but you don't have the BT module you can learn those control into your head unit.

I have had 4 or 5 different Chinese head units in my time and they all had just a regular RCA input for a backup camera and a wire you put 12v on when the car was in reverse so it would auto switch (or it could be done via the CAN).

I have never had one fail on me in the years I owned them so they seem pretty robust but sometimes they lock up and you need to reboot them or they do weird things, etc.

If you buy a car specific unit like the one you linked you don't need a bezel they fit perfectly. You can also go with any standard 2 DIN GPS receiver like a Pioneer or Sony where you know the products will have proper finishing touches but then you need all the install accessories and you will probably pay a lot more.

If the seller guarantees it will work with the Rockford system I wouldn't see any harm going with it.

I think this is the camera I bought:
Sony CCD Mitsubishi Outlander Car Reverse Rear View Back Up Camera Auto Kamera | eBay

And this is the wireless transmitter unit because I didn't want to run wires across the car:
2 4G Wireless RCA Video Transmitter Receiver for Car Backup Camera Lovely | eBay

The camera fits perfectly in the factory hole in the plastic, you can actually pull the plastic a bit and just wedge it in there, you don't even have to take it apart.. You do need to drill a hole in the sheet metal to run the video and power wires into the car though. Good idea to slather the whole area in silicon to keep it water proof and protect it from rusting, also the silicon behind the camera just keeps it in place better.

Then you just have to tap the reverse lights with the transmitter, and plug the camera in in the space behind the hatch and bob's your uncle.

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 01-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Great , will learn BT in head unit!

You've had 4-5 head units!! Any specific reason for changing them if they didnt fail?

Locking up once a while is reasonable,I guess thats the way for people to remember(in case they forget) that the units are from China!!

So I guess, with your score of 100% -with Chinese units and seller giving me assurance it will fit, I think I should go with it.Moreover I forgot to write that the seller will not recieve the money from alipay(escrow) till I recieve the goods or confirm goods are ok.So sellers are careful while lying!

I forgot to tell you that repair scene in India is awesome- For 30$ max I can get the head unit fixed easily if something goes bad in the unit(not sure about canbus though).

So if you are satisfied with camera and transmitter , I will buy it.

I was thinking that the license plate light has to be removed for camera to fit in and the wire can go through the big hole in which license plate light was fitted.

Thanks!

Last edited by kannyrocks; 01-24-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM

I write off a lot of cars :P

Lets see... I had my first one for a few months then the car got written off, then I got a better replacement one, then I was helping out the company with customer support online and reviews that made units for my Mazda so they offered me a deal on an upgrade that I couldn't refuse. (they don't do Mitsu stuff otherwise I would have dealt with them)

Then that car got written off and I sold that unit, and the unit before it is still here and still works but I don't own a M3 anymore to use it in.

Then I bought the one for my Outlander and I've had it about 2 years now and other than the software bugs it's not failed me.

100% success but my standards are pretty low. I accepted the ugly interface and various problems like the way it sometimes stops playing music while in GPS mode and you have to switch back to music mode and hit play again... This problem is specific to my unit though yours will probably have some other quirks.

I have had 3 of those exact same transmitter receiver units in various cars and that OEM clone camera for $15 vs the $300 for the actual OEM one have served me well, again little quirks and stuff but if your standards are low enough than it's great value.

The video quality is alright, it has the built in scale to help you judge how far away you are from whatever is behind you and can get you within an inch or so, sometimes the wireless stuff can be a little fuzzy but it's never been bad enough to stop me from backing up. I wouldn't want to record a movie with it but for the intended purpose it works well enough and for under $30 it's worth the price.

The backup lights of the car cast enough light backwards that you can see just fine in the dark as well.

Check at the back of your car to the left of the hatch release handle there should be a square hole in the plastic there where the OEM camera is meant to mount.
If you take the plastic fascia off the outside of the hatch you may be able to get the wires through an existing grommet but I went the lazy way and just made a hole for the wires and just wedged the camera between the back plate and the plastic only having to take the inside trim off.

If you have that little squarish hole you don't need to remove the license plate light to install that camera.

Feeling around in there it didn't seem like you could run a wire without altering something though and I think the OEM instructions call for a new hole.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Wow! So many units you have had. Very nice!!

You have the right attitude dear, keep standards/expectations low while buying Chinese units.

For 30$ camera if it does the job in street lights in the night, i guess thats more than enough. Once a while I also think it will mess up but thats ok. There are factory sound sensors installed as well so would come in handy! They are not very much help but better than nothing.

I will definately check the area of hatch release handle.

I saw some stereos for 150-180$ (Without shipping) on alibaba. They sometimes sell 1 piece also so that will save me another 70-80$.

Thanks for all the time put in by you for the detailed information, will update you once the stereo comes!! Will take a month though- China has new year starting-feb 7/8- and people will be back after feb 15th or so!!