Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Questions about my 08 Outlander SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Default Questions about my 08 Outlander SE

Proud owner of a 08 Outlander SE in Rally Red

1. Is it all right to use OEM 16" steel wheels with snow tires on my SE that came with
18" wheels? My dealer service rep is now stating that things like the ASC, antilock brakes,
speedometer, and possibly other things may not work right. This has got my attention,
and am now thinking I did not think this through enough. comments?

2. Is there a learning curve to operating the transmission?It's a littler different than
I am used to.

3. The radio displays can be very hard to see in the daylight. Will there be a fix for that?

Any other information and tips would be appreciated

thanks

Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Questions about my 08 Outlander SE

the only thing that will affect the wheel size difference in this case would be the speedo reading but not if you get 215/70 R16 tires cause then the diameter will be the same as your 18" tires.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rocairjer

Proud owner of a 08 Outlander SE in Rally Red

1. Is it all right to use OEM 16" steel wheels with snow tires on my SE that came with
18" wheels? My dealer service rep is now stating that things like the ASC, antilock brakes,
speedometer, and possibly other things may not work right. This has got my attention,
and am now thinking I did not think this through enough. comments?

2. Is there a learning curve to operating the transmission?It's a littler different than
I am used to.

3. The radio displays can be very hard to see in the daylight. Will there be a fix for that?

Any other information and tips would be appreciated

thanks
In regards to you first question, your dealer is full of crap and you should find a different dealer. Winter tires will affect none of those things you listed. As Elisha mentioned get the proper sized 16" tire and your speedo with be fine. The only thing you might run into is if you don't have the TPMS sensors on the steelies then the warning light will come on on the dash.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks Elisha and Canuck for your responses.
The tires on the steel wheels are 225/60/R16.
Would I need new tires? The current snows are a little
less than half worn, lots of good tread.

You are right about my dealer, I noticed the change when most of the
'old-timers' in sales and service resigned or left, possibly because someone
new took over the dealership. thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 AM

its not that you need new tires. you just have to factor in the difference in tire size to correct your speedo. i live in the part of canada where big trucks are a way of life. lots of the guys put huge *** tires on and never correct their speedo. they just figure out how much it is out. you can go to the trouble of having it corrected at a speedomaster or you could just remember to drive slower.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM

the 255/60 r 16 may be smaller in diameter than OEM so the car will be lowered a little as well. try getting 225/65 or 225/70 which is a little bigger but not much.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM

I calculated that the radius of your tires would be about 4% smaller than stock, this means that your idicated speed will be about 4% less, the before.My Speedo is about 4-5% high, so the chance are the indicated speed will probably be very close to the actual speed. You're probably going to get a little less milage, because the engine revs will be higher for the same speed.