Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

VOICE COMMAND NOT WORKING WHEN USING AUDIO MODE Ipod/USB

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Angry VOICE COMMAND NOT WORKING WHEN USING AUDIO MODE Ipod/USB

I hope someone has an idea why is this happening. I got my new Outlander sport in July 2011 and is fully loaded with navigation, backupcamera, HDD, etc... When I'm playing songs from my iPod, which is connected by USB, when I press the voice command button the music stops and I see the screen changing to the voice command and then goes right back to the song list and the song that was playing. This happens randomly. Sometimes I have to keep pressing the button 10 times to get the voice command to say "ready". I already unpaired and paired back my phone sevaral times. When I brought my car to the first oil change the dealership gave me a 1800 number to call to troubleshoot and get a reference number before they touch anything. I called them and after 2 or so hours on the phone they could not give me a solution. Now they want me to go back to the dealership and have my usb port checked, and they could not give me a reference number because they never had this problem reported. Now I'm stuck in the back and forth and everytime I have to go to the dealership is a 50 min trip not counting the traffic, tolls and gas. If anyone had this problem before and have a solution or someone that probably knows how to fix this please let me know....

Thanks

Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM

After talking back and forth with dealer and the Tech support the problem was solved replacing the Bluetooth module of the car. This was done a week ago and no problems so far...Luckly the warranty covered the cost of US$750.00.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Well right after a post the "solution" for this problem I expirenced again the same problem driving back home from work. So I guess replacing the bluetooth module is not the solution. I'm again in contact with the dealer, let's see what they are going to do next.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Do you know if they upgraded the software when they replaced the bluetooth module?

Check out this thread to see the version number of your software. If you don't have the latest version, you can update your software and see if that fixes it.

Or it can be something as simple as a loose wire or a bad button. Have you tried pressing the "phone pickup" button instead? Both those buttons respond to voice commands. In fact, I don't understand why they have a separate button that does the same thing.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ProcessorHog
Do you know if they upgraded the software when they replaced the bluetooth module?

Check out this thread to see the version number of your software. If you don't have the latest version, you can update your software and see if that fixes it.

Or it can be something as simple as a loose wire or a bad button. Have you tried pressing the "phone pickup" button instead? Both those buttons respond to voice commands. In fact, I don't understand why they have a separate button that does the same thing.
I believe they did, not sure at this moment. The dealer called me a few days ago saying that someone from Mitsubish is coming to the dealership and he/she wants to see the car and have for a few days. I'm bringing the car on Tuesday. They say they will replace the command buttons and reboot the whole unit and run all updates. About trying the pick up button, yes I did try both and the problem happens the same way. What I'm going to try this weekend is to load a few song in a USB drive and see what happens...They already got all my iPod info that I'm using and they say that there is no issue like that reported, so it may be something new that they have to work on. Until then I'll keep presing the voice command button several times to use it ...lol

I'll keep the updates here.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Ok after having my car in the dealer for 2 days I got it back. As soon I got in the car I tested the voice command and worked fine. On the next few days I didnt use my car because I was out of state for work. I got back on friday night and saturday I took my car for a ride and there was the problem again. So now I have the manager of service and an engineer from Mitsubish studing the case again.
Im going to copy the email I got from the service dept. saying what the did to try to fix the problem, which it didn't, and if someone has any idea please reply so I can let them know. We are all scratching our heads.

"Yes…2 problems. Switch in steering wheel was short to ground. Secondly, your main computer (eatacs). The software didn’t know that the Bluetooth was installed. When the bluetooth is installed at the factory, you have to tell the main computer that it is in the vehicle so it knows how to react with other traffic (like your ipod). It was programmed from the factory, but lost programming somehow. The reflash (tsb I sent you), updated the programming as to not happen again. It added a new group to the etacs programming.
I paired my phone. Played music with your ipod. Made several calls. The ipod stopped playing music and the Bluetooth connected every time. When I cancelled my call, the ipod music resumed. Works perfectly!"

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by henriquenog
Ok after having my car in the dealer for 2 days I got it back. As soon I got in the car I tested the voice command and worked fine. On the next few days I didnt use my car because I was out of state for work. I got back on friday night and saturday I took my car for a ride and there was the problem again. So now I have the manager of service and an engineer from Mitsubish studing the case again.
Im going to copy the email I got from the service dept. saying what the did to try to fix the problem, which it didn't, and if someone has any idea please reply so I can let them know. We are all scratching our heads.

"Yes…2 problems. Switch in steering wheel was short to ground. Secondly, your main computer (eatacs). The software didn’t know that the Bluetooth was installed. When the bluetooth is installed at the factory, you have to tell the main computer that it is in the vehicle so it knows how to react with other traffic (like your ipod). It was programmed from the factory, but lost programming somehow. The reflash (tsb I sent you), updated the programming as to not happen again. It added a new group to the etacs programming.
I paired my phone. Played music with your ipod. Made several calls. The ipod stopped playing music and the Bluetooth connected every time. When I cancelled my call, the ipod music resumed. Works perfectly!"
Does his ipod and yours run the same IOS version?
Does it do the same thing with any other devices?

Thats where I would be checking next.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by theewz
Does his ipod and yours run the same IOS version?
Does it do the same thing with any other devices?

Thats where I would be checking next.
That was my iPod that I left in the car so he could run the tests. I did try something else besides my iPod. I loaded a few song in a USB drive and the songs played fine but I got the same issues...even without anything connect at all unparing phone and everything.
Still waiting for the answer back from dealer and Mitsubish engineer

Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM

I noticed mine would do the same thing yours is doing and I just have a thumb drive in the usb port. I went outside today and played with it with the vehicle staionary and it didnt miss a beat (with engine running) see if yours seems to not do it when it is not moving. I will see what mine does when leaving work today. Maybe there is something that disables that isnt while in motion. Don't think it is a button issue since mine worked fine sitting still and doesnt matter what button I use same issue when moving.