Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Lift suspension and tires question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Default Lift suspension and tires question

Newbie here. Searched and I have an idea to the answer but I will ask anyway for clarity.
Have a 2003 Limited AWD and I will be replacing the tires soon. It came with stock 255/70/16s but want to upgrade to a larger size - 265/75/16.
Will I have clearance problems with a stock height suspension?
Also thinking about lifting it next year. Any suggestions on lift kits preferably from OME or the likes. Or any lift suggestions. I live in LA CA and Ive searched the internet and cant really find any shops that deal with Mitsu 4wd service parts and accessories.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Default RE: Lift suspension and tires question

My 03 limited- email me if you have any questions-

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/712331

prtdvl@yahoo.com

Old 02-05-2006, 01:17 PM

There should not be any clearance problems. I have 2000 XLS and I put the same size tires that you mentioned on mine and they worked fine. For a lift kit do a search for "Old Man Emu" as they are the only company that makes suspensions for Mitsubishi SUV's.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the quick replies jc and montero1.

Its good to read that the 265/75/16s will fit the stock suspension with no problems.
That size offers more price choices (lower ) in the AT and MTs.

I read up on the OME jc and they have a pdf on what they have for the MS. Its almost like a restaurant menu.
Just have to read some more of how to "crank up" the torsion bar for the front lift. And OME will take care of the rear. Shocks too.
I will probably have some detail questions on "cranking up the T-bars" later. Need to read first.

I forgot to add the "Sport" in my post - just to clear things up.

Thanks again from a fellow Mitsu owner. See you the trails.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: jc_ride

There should not be any clearance problems. I have 2000 XLS and I put the same size tires that you mentioned on mine and they worked fine. For a lift kit do a search for "Old Man Emu" as they are the only company that makes suspensions for Mitsubishi SUV's.
JC, I'd like to clarify this a bit in case a Montero owner reads this thread... What you've noted is probably correct for the Challenger/Montero Sport but it's incorrect for full size Montero.

There are several who make suspension upgrades for Montero's.
Sway Away: USA / www.swayaway.com makes a heavier duty torsion bar for some Montero models.
Iron Man Suspension: Australia / www.ironmansuspension.com makes a heavier duty torsion bar
Valley Spring (Dixon California) makes heavier duty coil springs.
Motorcare: Australia / www.Motorcare.com.au also sells a suspension lift kit for gen III montero's.

Alternatively for a Montero Sport / Challenger Sport instead of replacing leaf springs you can probably do a spring over axle suspension mod and torque the front torsion bars and fit up to 32's if not 33's underneath.

HTH.