Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Possible to disable Icy conditions warning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Possible to disable Icy conditions warning?

It's a useless warning. At first, I thought oh this is cool and its a good reminder. First off, freezing temperature is 0C/32F, not 3C/37.4F. After owning my Outlander for 1.5 years, I would gladly disable this useless feature. I live in a climate that can get as low as -45C/-49F. Most people don't know how to drive on ice and snow here, and even if you do its still very easy to slip. An annoying blinking amber screen everytime you start the car is nothing but an annoyance and by the time it actually matters that the roads are slippery you've already forgotten that it went off.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 AM

if you really want to get picky. the solidification of water happens at 4 deg Celcius, and not at the freezing point of 0. so for the warning to say possible freezing at 3, its actually very much right. the other night it was +3 C outside and it was snowing heavily.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Personally, I think that in the 15 months that I have had the Outlander that warning has maybe been useful once. I was driving a long distance and it colder as I drove and all of a sudden I got the warning and thought that it was interesting.
But I agree that I would rather not see it, if they could just allow us to configure it. If you want it, you keep it, if you don't, you turn it off.
My morning routine for the last two days has been start the car, after a couple of seconds get the Icy warning, followed by the Service maintenance warning followed by the TPMS warning,... At some point you get desensitize and will ignore just about anything that pops up.

And BTW with the amount of salt the put on the road around here the road, you will only get ice at around -30C.

For our friends down south, could you imagine if your car warned you every time the temperature goes over 90F.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: n0c7

It's a useless warning. At first, I thought oh this is cool and its a good reminder. First off, freezing temperature is 0C/32F, not 3C/37.4F. After owning my Outlander for 1.5 years, I would gladly disable this useless feature. I live in a climate that can get as low as -45C/-49F. Most people don't know how to drive on ice and snow here, and even if you do its still very easy to slip. An annoying blinking amber screen everytime you start the car is nothing but an annoyance and by the time it actually matters that the roads are slippery you've already forgotten that it went off.

I guess you're just going to have to suffer the awful, awful pain of a 5 second warning.
Oh, the horror.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 PM

I actually found this very useful on my way to work the other day. I live on the foothills of the rocky mountians and as i was driving from work (leave the city and head about 10km down highway) the warning came on. This was not annoying, but useful because when I left for work, the temperature in the city outside was +10C. By the time i got from my house to the outskirts of the city (about 3km) the temperature had fallen to -3 and the roads were frosted over on the highway due to this temperature drop.

It could have easily been the reason I made it to work safe, was because it gave me the warning.

I think if you really hate the warning that much, then you should get a computer nerd to create a bridge over the sensor, otherwise your just going to have to deal with a safety warning. This is a bit ridiculous. Do you also complain about the fact that there is a seatbelt warning as well? Come on. These things are in place to potentially save your life. Maby we could be a little more thankful that the companies and governing bodies are concerned for our safety and are working hard at developing nearly every way they find possible to make the travels safe for us and our families.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Actually I do find the seatbelt warning extremely annoying as well ONLY when I'm moving my car along with 2 others to reposition in parking stalls or garages when I just need to hop in and out for a few seconds at speeds lower than 5KM. Other than that, I've never had a problem wearing seatbelts and I think its a good idea once the car is in motion at maybe 10KM. They should allow you to adjust the threshold.
And as for thanking the companies, most are just covering their ***. We're liabilities driving their vehicles.